The sun is shining, the breeze is blowing through your car or truck, and the music is playing. Sounds like a perfect drive, doesn’t it? But the music coming out of the speakers can make or break your trip. Slow, boring songs you can’t sing to? Forget it. Road trip songs have to be fast and loud, and you absolutely must sing along as loudly as you can!
Here’s a list of the perfect road trip songs to get you where you’re going. There’s about a million more that would qualify, so let us know what you would add (or take off the list).
- Beautiful Day – U2
- Running Down a Dream – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- Ramblin Man – The Allman Brothers Band
- Freeway of Love – Aretha Franklin
- Paint it Black – Rolling Stones
- Layla – Derek and the Dominos
- Baba O’Reilly – The Who
- Dirt Road Anthem – Jason Aldean
- Gold on the Ceiling or Lonely Boy – The Black Keys
- Carry On – fun
- Thunder Road, Born To Run and The Rocker – Bruce Springsteen
- Fool in the Rain – Led Zeppelin
- On the Road Again – Willie Nelson
- Born to be Wild – Steppenwolf
If you’re traveling with kids, there are a ton of options to keep them (happily) occupied, too.
- The Rockabye Baby! series features lullaby renditions of popular music, including the Beatles, Bob Marley, Foo Fighters, Metallic, Madonna, U2, Johnny Cash, Weezer and many, many more.
- Anything by Caspar Babypants. These songs are so catchy that you’ll find yourself singing them (even when you aren’t in the car).
- The Laurie Berkner Band. Laurie is featured on Nick Jr.’s “Jack’s Big Music Show,” so your kids might already know some of these songs!
- The Kidz Bop series features current popular music sung by kids (with lyrics that are appropriate for smaller fry and preteens).